If you’re planning a trip to Athens, Greece, and want to explore the city and the surrounding areas, renting a car is a great option. It gives you the flexibility and freedom to explore at your own pace and visit places that may not be easily accessible by public transportation. In this article, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about car rental in Athens, Greece.
There are many car rental companies in Athens, Greece, ranging from international brands to local businesses. Some of the most well-known car rental companies include Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt. You can book a car rental online in advance or rent one on arrival at the airport or in the city center. The prices vary depending on the type of car, the rental period, and the company, but you can find cheap car hire options if you do your research in advance.
Exploring Athens by Car: TOP 7 Must-Visit Destinations
- Acropolis of Athens: The most famous landmark in Athens, the Acropolis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a must-visit destination for history buffs.
- Parthenon: Located at the top of the Acropolis, the Parthenon is an ancient temple dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena.
- Plaka: Known as the «Neighborhood of the Gods,» Plaka is a picturesque area with narrow streets, traditional houses, and taverns.
- Athens Riviera: The Athens Riviera is a scenic coastal area south of Athens, with beautiful beaches, seaside towns, and marinas.
- Cape Sounion: A scenic drive along the Athens Riviera will take you to Cape Sounion, where you can visit the Temple of Poseidon, another ancient temple dedicated to the Greek god of the sea.
- Mount Lycabettus: For panoramic views of Athens, take a drive up Mount Lycabettus, the highest point in the city.
- National Archaeological Museum: If you’re interested in Greek history and archeology, the National Archaeological Museum is a must-visit destination, with over 11,000 exhibits.
FAQs about Renting a Car in Athens
Are there any restrictions on where I can drive the rental car in Athens?
You can drive the rental car anywhere in Greece, but there may be restrictions on taking the car out of the country. Check with the car rental company before you book.
What do I need to know before booking a car rental in Athens?
You must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driver’s license and credit card. Some car rental companies may require an international driver’s license.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Athens?
A small or mid-size car is recommended for driving in Athens, as the streets can be narrow and parking can be challenging.
What’s the speed limit in Athens?
The speed limit in Athens is 50 km/h in the city and up to 130 km/h on highways.
What is the most popular rental car in Athens?
The most popular rental car in Athens is a small or mid-size car, such as a Toyota Yaris or a Hyundai i20.
How much does it cost to rent a car for a week in Athens?
The cost of renting a car for a week in Athens varies depending on the type of car, the rental period, and the company. You can find cheap car hire options starting from around €20 per day.
Should I get insurance when renting a car in Athens?
It’s recommended to get insurance when renting a car in Athens, as it will protect you in case of an accident or theft. Most car rental companies offer insurance options, but check the terms and conditions before you book.
Navigating Athens Roads: A Guide for Drivers
Features of Traffic Rules in Greece: Rules and Regulations
In Greece, cars drive on the right-hand side of the road. The speed limit in Athens is 50 km/h in the city and up to 130 km/h on highways. Seatbelts are mandatory for both drivers and passengers. It’s also mandatory to have a reflective vest and a warning triangle in the car. The use of mobile phones while driving is prohibited, and you must have your headlights on at all times, even during the day. Be aware that parking can be challenging in Athens, especially in the city center, and that some areas are restricted for cars. Follow the traffic rules and regulations, and enjoy your trip!