Kíssamos by car
Kíssamos, also known as Kastelli-Kissamou, is a small town in western Crete, Greece. It’s a perfect starting point for road trips due to its strategic location and proximity to renowned Cretan destinations. Renting a car in Kíssamos is the best way to explore this charming town and its surroundings at your own pace.
Exploring Kíssamos by Car: TOP 7 Must-Visit Destinations
- Kíssamos Town: This local town offers a look into traditional Cretan life, and you shouldn’t miss its local museum and beautiful central square.
- Balos Lagoon: Accessible by road or boat, Balos is famed for its turquoise waters and wild natural beauty.
- Falassarna Beach: Known for its sandy beach and crystal-clear waters, this place is ideal for sunbathing and swimming.
- Ancient Falassarna: Just above the beach, you can visit the remains of the ancient Dorian city of Falassarna.
- Elafonisi Beach: With its pink sands and clear waters, this beach is a favorite among locals and tourists alike.
- Polirrinia: Ancient ruins perched on a hilltop with panoramic views of the surrounding region.
- Samaria Gorge: A challenging drive but well worth it for those who love hiking and nature.
Parking in Kíssamos
Parking in Kíssamos is relatively easy, with several free public parking lots located around the town. During peak tourist season, finding a parking spot in popular areas may be a bit challenging, but generally, it should not be a problem.
Average price of a rental car in Kíssamos по месяцам
The average price of a rental car in Kíssamos ranges from around €20 per day in the low season (November to March) to about €40 per day in the high season (April to October).
FAQs about renting a car in Kíssamos
Are there any restrictions on where I can drive the rental car in Kíssamos?
There are generally no specific restrictions for driving within Kíssamos. However, some rental agencies may have restrictions regarding taking the car on ferries or outside the country.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Kíssamos?
Due to its diverse terrain and occasionally narrow streets, a compact car would be suitable for driving in the town. However, if you plan on venturing into more rugged areas, an SUV might be a better choice.
What’s the speed limit in Kíssamos?
The speed limit in urban areas, including Kíssamos, is usually 50 km/h. Outside urban areas, the speed limit is typically 90 km/h, and on the national roads and highways, it can be up to 130 km/h.
Navigating Kíssamos Roads: A Guide for Drivers
The road network in Crete is quite developed, with a major national road running along the north coast. The roads in Kíssamos and its surrounding areas are generally in good condition, but can be narrow and winding in some places, especially in hilly or mountainous areas.
Weather and pavement conditions in Kíssamos
Kíssamos, like the rest of Crete, enjoys a Mediterranean climate with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers. The best time to visit is during the spring (April to June) or fall (September to October) when the weather is mild, and the roads are less busy. Rainfall is highest in winter (December to February), which can occasionally make the roads slick, so extra caution is necessary during these months.
Driving in Kíssamos offers a great opportunity to explore the diverse beauty of western Crete. From its beautiful beaches to its ancient ruins and natural parks, there’s something for everyone in this enchanting part of Greece. Happy traveling!