Kefalos by car
Kefalos, located on the southwestern side of the island of Kos, is a captivating destination teeming with ancient history, delightful beaches, and traditional Greek culture. A rental car in Kefalos will let you explore at your own pace, revealing the diverse beauty of the town and its surroundings.
Exploring Kefalos by Car: TOP 7 Must-Visit Destinations
- Kamari Beach: This sandy beach with crystal clear waters is the perfect starting point for your Kefalos adventure.
- Agios Stefanos Beach: Adjacent to the beach, you’ll find the ruins of two early Christian basilicas. The small island of Kastri, right across, is a fantastic photo spot.
- Kefalos Windmill: A symbol of the town, the traditional windmill offers a picturesque view of the whole area.
- Asklepion: While it’s a 40-minute drive from Kefalos, this ancient Greek sanatorium, dedicated to Asclepius, the god of Medicine, is well worth the trip.
- Therma Beach: Just a 30-minute drive from Kefalos, famous for its hot springs and therapeutic mud.
- Palatia Beach: Here you can find the remnants of an old submerged settlement.
- The Traditional House of Kefalos: A fascinating folk museum that gives an insight into the local lifestyle of the past centuries.
The coastal road from Kefalos to the village of Antimachia, with its salt pans, windmills, and castle, offers an unforgettable driving experience.
Parking in Kefalos
There are numerous free parking areas in Kefalos, particularly near the beach areas. Even in peak season, you should not have too much difficulty finding a spot.
Average price of a rental car in Kefalos
The average cost of a rental car in Kefalos ranges from €15 to €35 per day, depending on the car model and season.
FAQs about renting a car in Kefalos
Are there any restrictions on where I can drive the rental car in Kefalos?
There are generally no restrictions, but be sure to check with your rental agency regarding driving off paved roads.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Kefalos?
A small to medium-sized car is recommended, particularly for some of the narrow streets in the older parts of Kefalos.
What’s the speed limit in Kefalos?
The speed limit in urban areas like Kefalos is typically 50km/h, while on open roads it varies from 80km/h to 100km/h.
Navigating Kefalos Roads: A Guide for Drivers
Driving in Kefalos is generally straightforward, with well-signposted roads and routes. However, be cautious while driving in the narrow, winding roads of the town center.
Features of traffic rules in Greece: Rules and Regulations
The traffic rules in Greece require drivers to keep to the right side of the road, and seat belts are mandatory for all occupants. Mobile phone usage is prohibited while driving, unless using a hands-free device.
Weather and pavement conditions in Kefalos
Kefalos enjoys a Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers (up to 30°C) and mild, rainy winters (around 10°C to 15°C). The roads in Kefalos are well-maintained, but caution is advised in winter months due to potential rainfall. The winds in Kefalos can also be strong at times, which drivers of high-sided vehicles should bear in mind.